“I’m not a chef, I’m Italian”- David Rocco


Friday, February 24, 2012

My Love Affair With Food



For many people, food can play a special part in our lives. When we celebrate birthdays, weddings or my favorite, Christmas, we are surrounded by food. Food is something that we can all share. We can all relate to it. Food doesn’t separate us. It brings us together. We all have to live, therefore, we all must eat. I bet if you think about a special moment in your life you will probably remember what you ate that day. 

This summer I had the pleasure of spending a month in Italy studying opera. Most of the time I was in Ischia, an island off the coast of Naples (where my mother’s family is from) and the rest I was in Rome. Not only did I become more in touch with my Italian roots, but with food. Italian food.

I have loved food for as long as I can remember. It has always been a special part of my life. Some of my best memories involve food. My grandma hard at work in the kitchen making Sunday gravy, Easter pie (more on that later) and my personal favorite, fried cauliflower. My mother preparing a Christmas Eve feast for our friends. When I was little I loved to bake. Now, I love to eat and I love to cook. It’s meditation. And when the food turns out well, it’s even more rewarding. Let’s face it, in life, nothing is certain. Most things are inconsistent, jobs and relationships may come and go. Things can let you down. But food will always be there for you. After a rough day it’s nice to come home to a nice tray of baked ziti. Food makes you feel good. Simple as that. And for me, it’s Italian food. Milky fresh mozzarella, al dente penne, tender meatballs and crunchy cannolis. There’s just something about Italian food that makes me feel the way no other food makes me feel. It’s a very special feeling, so come and join me for supper and experience that same feeling. Be Italian.  
               

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the World of Blogging! Claudia from @Whats Cookin Italian Cuisine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia! Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I look forward to following your blogs!!

      Delete
  2. I was in Italy last May and covered Rome, Verona, Florence, Venice, Milan and border of Switzerland. Amazing sightseeing I did with the food over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Rome for a week about 6 months ago, I loved it!! I threw some extra coins into the Trevi Fountain just to make sure I'll make it back over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Carolina! I am so excited to start following your blog. I LOVE almost everything Italian although I am from German descent. My dream is to visit Tuscany and Giada DeLaurentis is my mentor (unbeknownst to her, of course). I can't WAIT to try some of your recipes. BTW, I LOVE Boston! I visited there once many years ago and having been trying to get back ever since. Soon.....
    Welcome to blogland! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! "have", not "having". :-)

    ReplyDelete