“I’m not a chef, I’m Italian”- David Rocco


Sunday, July 29, 2012

Zucchini Flowers

Ciao a tutti!! I hope everyone has been having a lovely and relaxing weekend.  I myself have been busy in the kitchen, as usual!!

A couple of days ago I was shopping on Fresh Direct, when I came across them. Yes, them. The food that changed my life forever. The food that I only for the first time tried last summer in Italy. I’m talking about…..zucchini flowers.


Zucchini flowers are very hard to come by and are only in season for a few months, so when I saw them, I jumped at the opportunity to purchase a few batches.

My mom had been telling me about these delicate, light blossoms for years. She herself first tried them in Italy and I had my chance last year. When we were in Rome, we ate them every day. They were on every menu, so I just wanted to make sure I got my fix. We had them stuffed, pan fried, on white pizza, you name it. But my favorite way to eat them was the classic stuffed and fried version, who can blame me? Because really, when you stuff something with cheese and fry it, how can that not be anything but amazing?!?! So, in honor of the zucchini flower (or squash blossom), I present…Fiori di Zucca.

Fiori di zucca


6 medium squash blossoms
2 cups Ricotta
1 tablespoon Italian parsley – chopped fine
1 tablespoon basil – chopped fine
Chopped garlic- Quanto basta
2 eggs
1 cup flour
Vegetable/Canola oil – enough to fry
salt/pepper


Start off by cleaning them very well, they are extremely delicate so please be careful. Wash them with a spray of water and dry with a paper towel. Gently open the tips of the blossoms and pull out seeds or anything that doesn’t look too appealing. Set the blossoms aside.
Place a few inches of oil into a deep pot and heat.

Add the ricotta and herbs into a small bowl and mix well, season with salt and pepper.

Put the eggs into a small bowl and beat. Put the flour in a separate bowl. Set aside.

Very carefully pull back the tops of the blossoms and using a tiny spoon or a pastry bag, put enough of the ricotta mixture in to fill the blossom without tearing it. Twist the tops of the blossoms to seal. Continue until all blossoms are filled.

Dip the blossoms into the egg mixture and then coat with the flour. Tap off any excess flour. Continue until all blossoms are done.

Place blossoms into the heated oil and cook until golden, this should only take a few minutes, but stand by them to watch and see exactly how golden you like them. When done, transfer blossoms to a wire rack lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil and season lightly with salt while they’re still warm.

Please let me know if you have had zucchini flowers and what you think of them!! Buon Appetito!

8 comments:

  1. OMGoodness, a must try...the blossoms are nearly impossible to find here in Alaska, but it's my mission now with your post ;) Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Have you tried looking if you can order them somewhere online? I myself ordered from fresh direct (I don't know, is there fresh direct in Alaska?) If you do get a chance to try them, PLEASE let me know what you think!!

      Delete
  2. I adore fiori di zucca in every shape or form. Have you had them stuffed with anchovies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I have actually never stuffed them with anchovies because personally I am not a fan, but my mother loves them, so sometimes she does!

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued. I've never tried them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you'll really enjoy them!! Please let me know if you get a chance to try them!

      Delete
  4. I actually tried them for the first time this summer in Atlanta. They were amazing but I haven't got around to actually making them. I think I may just have to try soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe and inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! So glad you've had a a chance to try them! If you get your hands on some, please let me know how they turn out!!

      Delete