“I’m not a chef, I’m Italian”- David Rocco


Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cooking in Firenze...GELATO DAY!!


Ciao mei amici!! The day that I was so, so excited for at school has finally arrived, gelato day!! Yes, a full class devoted to my favorite frozen treat. I couldn’t wait to see what was in store for me. For one thing, we made different bases (cream, milk and ice for sorbetto), made some sweet gelato, some unexpectedly sweet gelato (mint) and some savory gelato (parmigiana). It was a very, very fun day. Another dessert that I’m sharing with you all is one we made last week..wait for it….an Eggplant Mousse with Chocolate Ganache and Mint Syrup. I know what you’re thinking, but let me tell you, it was AMAZING!! The eggplant mousse was so light and creamy, you would never guess it was eggplant. Let me know what you think of all of these beautiful sweet treats! Buon Appetito!! Oh and for more pictures from my Italian adventure, be sure to follow me on facebook, pinterest and twitter. Grazie mille!

Parmigiana Gelato with Balsamic Vinegar and Toasted Walnuts

This “gelato” was not a traditional gelato at all, as it is not made without an ice cream machine. It is a base of cream and parmigiana with a clove of garlic and nutmeg to just flavor it. It is then mixed until completely smooth and put in the refrigerator to set. It’s a wonderful savory dessert or appetizer for something to really impress your guests. The texture of the gelato is a perfect balance between a soft cheese and a hard cheese.

             
Strawberry Sorbet

This sorbet was made with a classic sorbet base in the ice cream machine and then an Italian meringue mix was added in the middle of the process. It made for an incredibly light and fluffy sorbet.

Basil Gelato

The basil gelato was made with a mix of milk, cream and sugar. I would be curious to try making this with the basil without any sugar for a more savory version.

Fiori di latte Gelato

 
A classic made with a milk, cream and vanilla. So light and creamy, this is the perfect base for any flavors of gelato that you want to make!

Vanilla Gelato

This gelato was made with milk and cream but had the addition of a few egg yolks and glucose. It was a richer taste and texture then the fiori di latte but would also be a great base.

Chocolate Gelato

This was made using the fiori di latte gelato base. We then made a chocolate ganache and added it the base. We used a dark chocolate bar, which I love, as I like my chocolate gelato very rich, as this was.

Eggplant Mousse with Chocolate Ganache and Mint Syrup
Yes, again, eggplant mousse!! The eggplant was cubed and seeped in milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon, strained and then pureed. It was topped with a chocolate ganache and mint syrup. This was amazingly delicious, I can’t wait to make it for friends!

BUON APPETITO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment