“I’m not a chef, I’m Italian”- David Rocco


Friday, November 29, 2013

La Dolce Vita...The Sweets of Florence


 
Buongiorno!! The past few weeks in Italy have been absolutely incredible. From exploring the museums and piazzas to marketing for fresh fish and bread, it has been amazingl. And of course, I am learning so much. Today I’m excited to share with you all of the sweets that I’ve been making here at cooking school in Florence. Buon Appetito! 

Cantuccini (Almond Biscotti)
 

Biscotti means twice baked, referring to the way that the cantuccini is prepared. It is a very sticky dough that is shape into a loaf, baked and then cut into strips. They are very crunchy and the almonds add a wonderful flavor, they are served here in Italy with a cup of Vin Santo for dipping.

 
Soft Cantuccini Dessert
 
 

I would dare say this a new take on cookies n crème. Why? Well, I’ll tell you! These dessert is made up of a Bavarian Cream that has some cantuccini in the cream. It is filled with a Vin Santo gelatin and is topped with a foam made with cream, cantuccini and Vin Santo. It is then decorated with pieces of caramelized cantuccini. This one of my favorite sweets that we’ve made.


Soy Lecithin Cookies
 
 
I know, I know, soy lecithin? But, we want to know how to cook with all of the different products out there right? So if you want to enjoy a sweet treat but are watching the old cholesterol, this is the cookie for you! It is soft and has a slightly nutty taste, we served them with fig jam.

Sebadas
 

Oh, where to begin. These were so good, I could have eaten the whole tray. But I kept my dignity intact and just had three. These are a traditional dish from Sardinia. It is pasta dough that is shaped like a ravioli and filled with a pecorino, lemon filling and then fried. Yes, fried. We then topped with an assortment of honeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment