“I’m not a chef, I’m Italian”- David Rocco


Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Box Project


Ciao a tutti! I know it’s been a while since I posted, but I am definitely going to get back to posting delicious recipes and photos for the summer. The truth is, there has been a lot of wonderful and exciting developments in my life and I can’t wait to share them with you all soon. In the meantime, I will be sharing wonderful and exciting recipes!

So, the other day I realized I still had my “food box” from Italy. What is my “food box”? Well, I’ll tell you. When I was in Italy last winter I brought and shipped back A TON of food products. Rice, pasta, oil, balsamic vinegar, pesto’s, sauces, taralli’s, chestnuts, special flours, candy, you name it, I bought it. I realized I hadn’t used a lot of it and that I am always “saving” it and then I finally realized, what am I saving it for? USE IT NOW! So, over the next month or so I am going to be hosting what I have deemed “The box project.” I am going to try to use a lot of these beautiful ingredients to make my meals over the next month or so. I won’t just be using my Italian ingredients. In fact, this morning I made a point of going through my kitchen cabinet and seeing what else I had on hand. Beans, zuppa di faro mix, yellow rice, quinoa, faro, etc. What I am going to do is use all of these ingredients as a base and of course, shop for fresh produce and protein. The goal here is to use what I have instead of over shopping for groceries every single week. So the lineup is……


Pizzoccheri with Artichoke Pesto, Crispy Artichokes & Lemon Meatballs

*What I have already: Pizzoccheri + Artichoke Pesto (all purchased in Italy)

*What I’ll be adding: White wine, garlic, a little cream, a little butter, lemon, artichokes + ingredients for Meatballs

Zuppa di Faro with Kale & Hot Sausage

*What I have already: Zuppa di Faro Mix, Chicken Broth (mix purchased in Italy)

*What I’ll be adding: Kale + Sausage links

Risotto with Chestnuts, Nutmeg, Dried Mushrooms & Fresh Mushrooms

*What I have already: Chestnuts, Nutmeg + Dried Mushrooms (chestnuts + nutmeg purchased in Italy)

* What I’ll be adding: Risotto + Fresh Mushrooms

Black beans, Yellow Rice + Chorizo

*What I have already: Black beans, chorizo

*What I’ll be adding: Yellow rice

Chestnut Gelato with Candied Chestnuts

*What I have already: Sweet Chestnut Spread & Chestnuts (purchased in Italy)

*What I’ll be adding: Gelato custard base

Asian Stir Fry

*What I have already: Tofu, quinoa & faro

*What I’ll be adding: Fresh vegetables + red curry paste

Pistachio Gelato

*What I have already: Pistachio liquor (purchased in Italy)

What I’ll be adding: Gelato custard base & pistachios

Nero Fondente Gelato

*What I have already: Bars of dark chocolate (purchased in Italy)

What I’ll be adding: Gelato custard base

Pasta al Forno

*What I have already: Pesto rosso, penne, canned tomatoes & ricotta (pesto & tomatoes purchased in Italy)

*What I’ll be adding: Eggplant, sausage, parmesan 

I’ll be photographing all of the ingredients before they are used and OF COURSE, photographing the final dishes! STAY TUNED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment